Friday, November 25, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving Circa 1968


Oh, the Thanksgivings of my childhood.  Such wonderful memories.  Every Thanksgiving was spent downstairs in my Grandmother's house.  We lived in a 2 family home, Nanny Kitty and Papa on the ground floor, and our family upstairs.  Nanny would be up bright and early, with her apron tied around her waist, making all the preparations.  The wonderful aroma of the Turkey cooking in her oven, would make it's way through the hallway, and up the sixteen steps that separated our doors. 


Our cousins would join us for the family meal.  Children were always casually dressed.  I'm seated far left, in my favorite orange Red Baron Peanuts sweatshirt, and sporting my least favorite haircut, the boyish "pixie."  :)  Mom would always be wearing a skirt, blouse, and pearls, or some other type of necklace.   There were always so many things to eat.  My standard favorites were the mashed potatoes, stuffing, and the of course, turkey with gravy. 


After dinner, which was always served promptly at 1:00 p.m., the big football games were played on the television, while the women cleaned up.  Later in the evening, leftover turkey was used to make delicious sandwiches, and out came the desserts.  Usually dessert consisted mainly of various pies, such as apple, pumpkin, and pecan pie.  Only pies were ever served.  No cookies or fancy cakes.  A simple, pure, traditional Thanksgiving....with all the trimmings!  The more things change, the more they stay the same.  :)

I hope all my American friends and their families enjoy a Happy, Joyous, Thanksgiving.      

17 comments:

  1. Very lovely post!! (I had the popular pixie haircut, too. People mistook me for a boy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute post as always..I think you are SOO lucky to have these photos..I know I keep repeating myself!

    Thank you for all your charming posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving Maureen!

    I wish I could take a seat at the table and enjoy the dinner with you. It sounds delicious to me.

    Thank you for your sweet comments.

    Hugs,
    Sanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos (as always!) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what nice memories - and wonderful photos. Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving dear Maureen to you and your family.
    Love your childhood thanksgiving photos and what happy and special memories you have shared.

    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures are especially wonderful for showing the beautiful dining room, china, glasses, etc. Everything sounds so good - especially the pie menu.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Memories... :-)

    Hope your 2011 Thanksgiving was lovely, also.

    Gentle hugs,
    "In a large bowl, combine........"
    Aren't those beginning words, delicious...
    all by themselves? :-)))
    ~Me
    ♫♡♫

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, I keep saying this too, but you are really so lucky to have all these cherished family photos. I have so few! But boy do I have great memories of Thanksgiving and Christmas spent at my Mammaw's house in Mississippi. Whenever I hear a football game on tv, I am taken back to those days when the Thanksgiving meal would be over, everything cleaned up, and I would head back to the guest room for a little nap. The sound of the game could be heard as I drifted off to sleep so long ago. :) I hope you and your family had a lovely Thanksgiving. Enjoy the holiday weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maureen, Your memories could be their own movie. You know how I love "all American" memories - grandparents in the basement! EAK! It doesn't get any better than this.
    Smiling here this Thanksgiving weekend. Hope you are as well! E

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photo's of Thanksgiving past!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maureen, how wonderful to let us 'hear' you reminisce! Love the photos, too! I especially like the last one! Your relative in the curlers...that was a common thing back then, I think. I see plenty of my relatives from way back when, it was not taboo to be in curlers like it is now. Fun memories. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice pictures and good memories. I love your Nanny's curlers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Maureen,
    I love your vintage photographs..I hope you have some Christmas one's to share. I have to say I have been passing along to my friends the Butterbird turkey movie. I just loved it..thanks for sharing that with us. Have a great day..I have a ton of projects today!
    Enjoy time...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mom dresses so much better than I do for Thanksgiving Maureen :-) She looks awesome. Thanks for bring back all my T-day memories at my aunt Leah's.
    I Loved reading the post of the picture of your mom at the switchboard. Butterbird Hotline was so funny and I loved it when he put live turkeys in the trunk of the cars. Yeah, that might even keep from eating turkey ever again...especially the cleaning up the poop thing!!! That was a hoot to watch. Thanks for making my day brighter!
    hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  16. What lovely memories!! I just love two family homes... we've lost something along the way... nothing like having grandparents living so close.
    Blessings!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is that Grandma in the curlers...what precious photos!

    ReplyDelete

Pleasant Thoughts...