Saturday, October 13, 2012

Children's Nimble Hands


Have you ever been sideswiped, by a surprise act of kindness, from your very own children?  If it is not the month of May for Mother's Day, or June for my birthday, I don't ever expect to receive something of the material sense.  No, I've become accustomed to just a sprinkling of kind words spoken, after I grant them a favor, or make one of their wishes come true.  So, I was beautifully bewildered the other day, when my 9 year old son, and 11 year old daughter presented me with this homemade card and little plushie....just because.  They just wanted to let me know how much they appreciated my devotion to them.  My face must have looked shocked, as they said to me, "Mommy, are you alright?"  Well, I certainly was more than alright...I was walking on clouds.  I was so proud of them for using my crafting stash to both create the card, and make the cute plushie. 
 Darling daughter made the card, and would you believe, cutie pie son made the plushie.  He LOVES felt, and he loves to sew!  Both of them know how much their mommy likes to lose herself in blog land, that they copied the design of one of the elements on my blog header photo and icon.  I think that specific part of their special thoughtfulness, really put me over the happy edge! :)  To acknowledge their mommy's part-time obsession.  What memories of kindness can you recall from your children, or special nieces and nephews?

13 comments:

  1. Hi Maureen!
    Well this is realy sweet, to recrieve something handmade and just because, kids can be so sweet, enjoy!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable..I see the icon..Oh I love this..too funny ..I have prepared a post for the future..with felt and stitching and Lucas stitching:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so wonderful. Our children - now in their 40s - used to dress up in hats, scarves and jackets and go carolling around our farm house in Kansas at Christmas time. We were the only house for a mile around. They would sing and sing and sing - then knock on the door - asking us if we noticed someone was singing to us from outdoors. (We had been rushing from window to window to follow them as they sang). We always acted surprised and that delighted them, then we would invite them in for hot chocolate and cookies, and they would sing one more song. They would sit at the dining room table and we would talk, with them being the strangers in our home. They would inquire about our family, how many children? - their ages, etc. When we would throw in some compliments about how wonderful and thoughtful our children were they would giggle and look at each other. It was such fun. Then they would dress up in their outdoor clothes and tell us to close our eyes - they would disappear upstairs and then come down and ask us who the visitors had been. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Maureen,

    How sweet your dear children are and that they are so appreciative of all you do for them. It is the unexpected little things like this our kids do for us make life so beautiful.
    Mine often used to do drawings and make cards for me.

    Happy week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh! That's the sweetest thing, Maureen! Isn't it amazing how those little gestures thrill us so? I love that they took your apron logo and made those beautiful things for you--I know you'll treasure them always!

    I love when my girls will leave me little notes here & there to surprise me...makes me so happy!

    Wishing you a beautiful week ahead, dear friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful surprise and so creative, just like their mother.
    Lillian
    lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that is the sweetest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet! It is such a lovely present for a mother!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maureen, I have tears in my eyes. This is just the sweetest post of the year. I have goosebumps as well! Oh, I am beyond excited to find you are on Pinterest as well. More of Celestial Charms is a good thing. Have a lovely Sunday, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. So darling! What a blessing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely! I don't know who is luckier, you or them! Hope you are having a good week. I am heading to the Chocolate Show on Saturday in NYC so should be fun Weather is to be very nice and warm for November.

    www.nycstylelittlecannoli.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Maureen...what an incredibly sweet thing for your kids to do! You are really blessed.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet and thoughtful treasure this is! Thanks for sharing it! I'm so glad you linked your blog up to the Moxie Fab World Blogroll. It will be great to stop by and say "hello" from time to time!

    ReplyDelete

Pleasant Thoughts...