Saturday, December 15, 2012

Advent Calendar in Christmas Rush


Weeks and weeks have passed, preparing for Christmas has become like a full-time job.  My favorite time is when I steal a few moments to complete a task, while listening to cheerful Christmas tunes from long ago.  I can get lost in the wonder of it all!


I'm finally making a post on my oh so neglected blog.  I have so many crafts and stories to share, but so little time to post them.  Well, I'm hoping most of you are finished with your decorating, and are now deep into holiday revelry. :)  I made this advent calendar using paper tags, fabric ribbons, and papering tiny matchbook covers. 


Finding a place for them was easy.  We have a stone archway standing in the foyer of our home, so I place each day's tag on vertical rows on opposite sides of each other.  The children take turns, alternating the opportunity to slide open the matchbooks to reveal the tiny treasures inside.


I think I have painted and glittered about 50 of these huge wooden snowflakes.  Lots of fun seeing them hang in the most unusual places throughout the house.  Love those old fashioned glittered nativity scenes, too.



My Christmas owl happily stands guard over our white Christmas tree.  Aren't owls delightful any time of the year?  My very favorite bird, for sure.  Do you have a favorite bird you love all year round?

Hope your Holiday season is a very relaxing and blessed time!




11 comments:

  1. Maureen, Seeing your comment today made me gasp to think this tragedy hit so close to home for your family. I so enjoyed this holiday post. We are so similar with birds on our tree. This year I bought a cardinal to represent my husband's love of them. Your snowy owl is beautiful! Your Advent boxes are genius! Wishing you and yours a most wonderful Christmas! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see your wonderful decorations. Hope you and your family have a great Christmas season.
    Lillian
    lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of sprinkling snowflakes all over the house! Hope you're having a lovely holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful..and the nativity scene is so precious also:)..

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Love your advent calender! Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm liking your owl and think I would choose two birds as favorites: owls and pelicans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning! I also neglected my blog for weeks and now am trying to keep up. A bit! Life happens and blogging sometimes has to take a back seat. Even being retired and having time..or what I thought was time..still things get in the way and home and family is a priority.
    I see you are doing the Christmas decor thing like the rest of us! It really IS fun though, isn't it?
    Merry Christmas to you and may the season bring you peace.
    Love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to see that you are still around, still creating! I've not decorated for the holidays in the past couple of the years. No matter how much I think I will get done, I'm always behind! Merry Christmas! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so gorgeous - love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my your calendar is adorable...I have never seen one like this before! I love it. Sending you oodles of joy for a very blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Maureen,

    I love your idea of the Advent calendar. Very cute! Thank you for taking the time leaving sweet notes. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and lots of joy with family and friends.

    -Sanna-

    ReplyDelete

Pleasant Thoughts...